Tuesday, October 18, 2011
Advantages and Disadvantages of Catering Business at Home
There are many stay at home business opportunities and one that receives a lot of attention is catering. Starting a catering business at home can be an extremely lucrative business. In America alone the catering business accounts for $5 billion in annual revenue each year. However, there are a number of advantages and disadvantages of catering business work at home opportunities and those are discussed here.
Anyone that loves to prepare food and enjoys food for parties, weddings and other events will be attracted to this wonderful business. There are several pros and cons to starting a home based catering business.
As a professional caterer there are numerous opportunities for work at home entrepreneurs. Some home based caterers will start out small in their own kitchens with a handful of clients which will keep your initial costs very low and your prices will reflect this to begin to attract more clients.
However, be careful of beginning a home based catering business. Many states have passed laws making it illegal to sell food prepared in your kitchen or a permit for hundreds of dollars will need to be purchased each time you cater an event. Some communities have combating many of these obstacles by renting a shared space for commercial kitchens or use your local church kitchen. You can install a commercial kitchen in your home. Though, for many starting out in the business this move is not very cost effective. There are several advantages and disadvantages to this vehicle of making income for a home based business.
Advantages of catering
· Doing something you love if you enjoy working with food, cooking for events and are a very social person is the ideal personality for a home catering business.
· Earnings are extremely great for the at home catering business. Many home based caterings are earning six figures in a couple of years in a nice sized community
· Meeting new people and going to great events
· Recognition is wonderful in this line of business and the network of people in the niche is terrific
· This is a job you can do full time or part time as your schedule fits
Disadvantages of catering
· Can be very stressful work meeting deadlines for catering business clients.
· Many people are catering for events where clients are stressed for everything to be perfect. These include bar mitzvahs and weddings. They may hover, scream, cry and show a lot of anxiety.
· You do a lot of the work yourself. You do the cooking, cleaning, billing and getting the food to the event working your catering business from home.
· You need to be able to handle crisis as they happen. No event goes off without a hitch. It may be a thunderstorm that day and you need to move the three foot cake to the church with hail coming down and expect it to look perfect. Can you handle putting fires out each event?
Catering can be a very lucrative business from your home and is a great way to spend your time working from home if you enjoy it.